How a 17-year-old started a poultry business in the slums of Dar es Salaam
Sirjeff Dennis was five when he witnessed a neighbour lose her seven-month old son. Living in the slums of Tanzania’s capital city Dar es Salaam, the mother had spent much of her pregnancy hungry and her son was born underweight and too weak to survive his first year.
His death hit Dennis hard and created a deep passion for fighting hunger. At age 17 he started a poultry business, Jefren Agrifriend Solutions (JAS), to supply his community with affordable chicken meat and eggs. Four years later the company is producing 2,000 chickens a month and has caught the attention of the Anzisha Prize, Africa’s premier award for young entrepreneurs. Last year Dennis was named one of its 12 finalists.
But how did he get to where he is today?
“I want to change the mindset that agriculture is only for those that do not have an education – because it is not. Agriculture is for anyone,” says Sirjeff Dennis, founder of Jefren Agrifriend Solutions
Cameroonian puts diabetes to flight with tea manufacturing business
Cameroonian Vanessa Zommi (20) is a problem solver, and when she realised that diabetes posed a risk to her mother’s life, she decided to do something about it.
She had already lost both her grandparents as a result of diabetes, so when her mother was diagnosed with the disease, Zommi started to look into natural treatments that could keep her mother healthy.
She came across the moringa oleifera tree, which grew in her region, and discovered it has a number of nutritional and medicinal benefits. One of these is reducing blood sugar levels to treat diabetes and, after a bit more research, Zommi found she could easily process the moringa leaf into a tasty tea.
“At first I was doing this just for my mom, but then I realised this could help other people like her in Cameroon, as well as Africa,” said Vanessa Zommi, founder of Emerald Moringa Tea in Cameroon.
Doubling the Farmers’ Income Will Remain A Dream – by Devinder Sharma (Food Policy Analyst, Researcher, Writer)
The average income a farmer earns from farming activities, including what he keeps for his family’s consumption, is 20,000 rupees a year in 17 states across the country. This means the monthly income of a farmer in these states is a paltry 1,666 rupees.
Now, put yourself in this situation. If you were a farmer and made only 1,666 rupees a month, what would you like to do?
When Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said, “We need to think beyond food security and give back to farmers a sense of income security,” while presenting the Budget in parliament yesterday, I was hopeful. But when all he promised was to double farmers’ income by 2022 — five years away — all my hopes came tumbling down.
According to Aminu Gamawa in his post linked below(about this photo):
“These baskets of organic tomatoes cost 400 Naira each ($2). Sadly, Nigeria still imports tomato paste. More than 50% of the tomatoes produced by the farmers in Nigeria is wasted due to lack of modern storage facilities and cost of transportation to the market. ”
Last week, in Issue 37 of the Farm CEO I announced that this members-only website version of the newspaper will now be used to publish latest updates based mainly on content shared on the private Facebook group. Next week, I will provide a download list of past PDF issues here.
Register for your FREE username and password at http://iff.tayosolagbade.com/wp/wp-login.php?action=register and I will send you a free copy of my report titled: How YOU CAN Browse CHEAPLY On Your PC or Laptop Without Using A “Modem”!
Like I mentioned in the last issue of the Farm CEO newspaper (Issue 37), I have decided to give give ALL paid Farm CEO clients, who are also lifetime members of my Cost-Saving Farm Business Ideas club FREE lifetime subscription to The Farm CEO™ newspaper online.
- PII 129: These Ideas Will Help You Defy Any Adversity to Succeed Anywhere, Doing Anything! [FREE PDF DOWNLOAD]SD Nuggets Blog: Cost-Saving Farm Biz Ideas Articles | Published on 2018-08-15
- PII 128 – Commandment No. 5 of 10 – You Shall Confidently Offer to Solve Real Life Problems For Your Target Audience [Features TRUE STORY of Teenager Who Started Making Custom Shoes for Himself Because Shoe Sellers Rarely Have Shoes Fitting His Size 46 Feet]SD Nuggets Blog: Cost-Saving Farm Biz Ideas Articles | Published on 2018-08-09
- Go Hard: Keep Watering Your Dream] by Les Brown [Verbatim Video Text Transcript by Tayo K. Solagbade to celebrate turning 48 on 6th July 2018]SD Nuggets Blog: Cost-Saving Farm Biz Ideas Articles | Published on 2018-07-13
- PII 124 – No. 2 of 10 – You Shall Become Slightly Famous at Zero Cost [Ten Commandments of Web Marketing for Money Making Success]SD Nuggets Blog: Cost-Saving Farm Biz Ideas Articles | Published on 2018-07-09
- PII 125 – No. 2 of 10 – You Shall Become Slightly Famous at Zero Cost [Ten Commandments of Web Marketing for Money Making Success]SD Nuggets Blog: Cost-Saving Farm Biz Ideas Articles | Published on 2018-07-09
- Pineapple: Farmers Lament Low Patronage [The Farm CEO’s Review of Guardian Newspaper Agribusiness Report of 1st July 2018]SD Nuggets Blog: Cost-Saving Farm Biz Ideas Articles | Published on 2018-07-03
- PII 124: Proven Secret to Drum Up Attention for Your Business at Zero CostSD Nuggets Blog: Cost-Saving Farm Biz Ideas Articles | Published on 2018-07-02
- PII 122: What African Entrepreneurs and Societies Need to Do To Achieve Needed Business SuccessSD Nuggets Blog: Cost-Saving Farm Biz Ideas Articles | Published on 2018-06-18
- PII 117: Top 2 Articles On How to Defy Adversity to Succeed With Web Marketing (True Stories)SD Nuggets Blog: Cost-Saving Farm Biz Ideas Articles | Published on 2018-05-14
- [RECOMMENDED] 27 Ways to Make Money From Your Small FarmSD Nuggets Blog: Cost-Saving Farm Biz Ideas Articles | Published on 2018-05-08
- PII 116: Why Poultry Farming May be Too Risky For Most Nigerians TodaySD Nuggets Blog: Cost-Saving Farm Biz Ideas Articles | Published on 2018-05-07
- [RECOMMENDED] The A-Z of making your own quality chicken feed at home to cut costsSD Nuggets Blog: Cost-Saving Farm Biz Ideas Articles | Published on 2018-05-04
- PII 114 [EVENT VIDEO & PHOTOS] How to Make Drinks You CAN SELL from Pineapple Peels – True StorySD Nuggets Blog: Cost-Saving Farm Biz Ideas Articles | Published on 2018-04-23
- [WORKSHOP] How to Make Drinks You Can Selling Using Peels of Pineapples – Lagos based NGO invites Tayo Solagbade to Train 30 MembersSD Nuggets Blog: Cost-Saving Farm Biz Ideas Articles | Published on 2018-03-24
- Protected: The New FARM CEO (Issue 001): Ideas for Saving Money In Your Farm Busienss – 7 Articles for 7 Days!SD Nuggets Blog: Cost-Saving Farm Biz Ideas Articles | Published on 2018-03-24
THE FARM CEO (Issue 07): Formulating Farm Specific Swine Diets, Feeding L/stock During Feed Shortages, 7 Tips to Reduce Feed Waste and Save Money, Raising Meat Rabbits to Save The World, Farm Software & Worksheets
THE FARM CEO (Issue 06) – 13th July 2015: Reducing Catfish Feeding Costs (A Secret Weapon) – Parts 1 & 2, Cutting Costs by Feeding Chicken Intestine to Your Catfish (Native catfish culture), How to Reduce Your Feeding Costs by Rearing/Feeding Maggots to Your Catfish, How to Rear Daphnia (Water Fleas) to Feed Your Catfish at Lower Cost, FAO Information Programme (Production Cycle etc) on Catfish – Clarias Gariepinus
THE FARM CEO (Issue 05) – 6th July 2015: A Mobile Phone App for Poultry Feed Formulation?, Choosing The RIGHT Feed Formulation App, Kenyan Farmers (Belatedly?) Creating Own Feed Due to Rising Costs, Using Inaccurate Amino Acid Digestibility Databases Can Increase Your Feeding Costs, A Useful Introduction to Feed Formulation
THE FARM CEO (Issue 04) – Economics of Aquaculture Production, Become My 50% Affiliate Partner!, Video- Why You CAN Succeed In Your Livestock Farm Business (Feed Formulation Series), Manual on Catfish Hatchery & Production, Why Agriculturists Need to Be Agro-Entrepreneurs, If They Want to Prosper, Starting a Biz While Working Full Time,
THE FARM CEO (Issue 03) – Low Cost Protein Sources for L/S Feed, Good Aquaculture Feed Manufacturing Practice, Replacement of fish meal with maggot meal in African catfish, Soybean Meal Alternatives, Pre-Feasibility BROILER FARM (7500 Birds), Evaluation of Locally Available ingredients used for Ration Formulation for African Catfish
THE FARM CEO (Issue 02) – Rat Control, Integrated Farming, Economics of Egg Production, Agribusiness Handbook: Poultry Meat & Eggs, Watch Songhai’s Award Winning Snails Feeding Video, Songhai’s Leadership Academy – SLA
NB: The FREE maiden issue of THE FARM CEO weekly newspaper went LIVE on Mon 8th June 2015
[View the PDF version at http://tinyurl.com/tks-tfceo]
Every subscriber gets a FREE copy of my Feed Formulation Handbook and my Ration Formulator at N4.1k instead of N12.5k PLUS ALL back issues of THE FARM CEO.
1 year (48 issues) subscription = $36 USD . My Inner Circle members pay 65% LESS.
Get started by submitting the form at http://tinyurl.com/tfc-ffhb